Bauphal is a beautiful upazila in the Patuakhali district of Bangladesh. This area is about 30 km from the district headquarters in Patuakhali.
Bakerganj Upazila lies north of this subdistrict. Patuakhali Sadar and Dumki Upazila are in the west. It is also south of Galachipa and Dashmina and east of the Tentulia river.
The area of Bauphal Upazila is 487.10 square km. It is the location of the Bauphal Sadar Police Station. This name gained fame when they established a police station here in August 1874.
According to the census information, the total population of this area is 3,04,284 people. Among them, 1,44,545 are male, and 1,59,739 are female. Total families are 67,833.
In 1790 AD, Lord Cornwallis divided the Bakerganj district into 10 Thanas. He did it according to the Indian Administrative Reforms Act.
Bauphal thana is one of them. Moreover, the Calcutta Gazette announced the creation of the Patuakhali subdivision.
Bauphal was among the four police stations under this subdivision. Earlier, there were many types of trees in this area. One tree type, famous as the Bau tree, gave its name to Bauphal.
According to the history of South Bengal during the reign of Aga Bak, the name of the area became famous as Bauphal.
More Information About Bauphal Upazila
According to the 2011 census, the literacy rate of Baufal Upazila is 61.1%. In this subdistrict, there are 13 colleges and 55 secondary schools.
There are also four lower secondary schools, 225 madrasas, and primary schools. Nursing Institute 1. Polytechnic Institute 1.
The amount of cultivated land is 84,115 acres. The amount of single-crop land is 26,245 acres, and the amount of double-crop land is 47,760 acres.
There is a mosque named after Ghasheti Begum. She was the aunt of Nawab Sirajuddaula. The mosque is in North Shoula village of Kalaiya Union.
The mosque is now under the river. The historian assumes that Ghesheti Begum or one of her relatives came here. They took shelter in this building during the Palashi war.
Despite its destruction in 1790, Bauphal Thana still shines in its glory. It has a history, without any doubt. In 1320 AD, King Danujmardan Dev founded the Chandradwip kingdom.
His subordinate, 5th male King, Jayadeva, had no sons. He had two daughters named Kamala and Vidyasundari. King gives proper education to daughters.
Among the daughters, Kamala Devi was the most talented. Under her father’s instructions, she learned state administration, weaponry, Sanskrit, and Bengali.
King Jayadev married Kamala Devi to Balabhadra Bose in Dedagati village. It was in Babuganj police station. Balabhadra is the son of Ushapati.
King Jayadeva built a royal palace at Galachipa for his daughter and son-in-law. The people called Balabhadra Bose Kalaraja because of his dark appearance.
Kal Raja’s bill in Galachipa still bears his memory. The earthquake of 1763 destroyed the village, including Kala Raja’s house.
After the death of Raja Jayadeva, his daughter-in-law came to live in the palace of Bakla in Bauphal. Kamala Devi ascended the throne in 1490 AD.
Kamala Dighi in Kalaiya Union bears the memory of Rani Kamala Devi. Its construction period is 1490 AD. The eastern bank of the lake empties into the Tetulia River.
The banks of the lake are still 20/25 feet high. People build villages on the banks. The name of this village is Shoula.
In 1874 AD, Mr. Beveridge, District Magistrate of Bakerganj area, visited this lake. To the west of the upazila headquarters is Bilbilas Bazar of Bauphal Union.
It was the birthplace of AK Fazlul Haque. He was known as the Tiger of Bengal during the British period. He was born in Kazi Bari of Bilbilas village.
Named after him, Naomala Road from Bilbilas Bazar to Jouta joins as ‘Shere Bangla’ Road. Baga was well-known for its rice trade since the British rule.
At that time, people used Balam Chal all over Bengal and India. In the west of the upazila, there is a famous food warehouse of ancient times.
To the north is the Balai Kanair Dighi of the Kachipara Union. It is a valuable place for the Hindu community, and they used to worship there with milk and bananas.