Germany is a land of natural wonder, without any doubt. Park Schönbusch is a small part of this German natural wonder.
It is near Aschaffenburg town in the Franconia region of Bavaria. It is open to the public. Visitors will see a beautiful Schloss or palace in this park.
You can also call it a manor house. It can give a touch of nature to the visitors. It is a historic land, without any doubt.
The authority of that time designed this park as an English landscape garden. They did it for an Archbishop of Mainz. There are various neoclassical buildings visible in the park.
Things to Know about This Beautiful Place
There are many things to know about this great place in Germany named Schönbusch. Many people come to visit this place to take the touch of nature.
Geography of This Place
This park is in the loop of the famous river named Main. This river has increased its natural appeal to the people who visit.
It is in the southwest of the town center of Aschaffenburg. It has a border in the north by the Bundesstraße 26 or Federal Highway 26.
The total area of this place is 160 hectares. Stockstadt am Main is a market community that lies west of this park.
Schönbusch borders Nilkheim in the east and south. It is the geography of this magnificent land in the European country of Germany.
History of Park Schönbusch
This beautiful area has a rich history to know. The area that is famous today previously was a deer park of the Archbishops of Mainz.
The transformation of this beautiful park began in the 1775. The Authority of that time transformed it into an English Landscape Garden.
They did it based on the ideas of Wilhelm von Sickingen. He was the minister to Archbishop Friedrich Karl Joseph Reichsfreiherr von Erthal.
Historians consider it one of the earliest parks of this kind of style in Southern Germany. This area was famous as Nilkheimer Wäldchen.
The authority appointed Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell to complete the garden. He was a court gardener in Schwetzingen and a leading garden designer.
The Scholss is famous as Kurfürstlicher Pavillon. The authority of that time built it in Neoclassical style from 1778 to 1782. Court architect Emanuel Herigoyen gave the plan, and they followed.
They placed it by aligning it with a visual axis to Schloss Johannisburg. The palace has ten staterooms with Louis XVI-style furniture.
The authority of this area added other features in the year 1780. These features are the Red Bridge, Philosopher’s House, and the Temple of Friendship.
They also added shepherd houses, a small village, and a dining pavilion. They added artificial hills with a viewing tower and the Devil’s Bridge.
In 1783, a set of regulations allowed public access to this area of natural wonder. A piece of information is that when the archbishop was not here, it was open to visitors.
The authority built the Red Bridge to create the road from Aschaffenburg to Darmstadt. They did it to pass over an artificial creek.
French forces occupied Mainz and forced the Archbishop to flee to his other house. They did it in the year 1792/93. In 1796, the French army reached the town for the first time.
They occupied this area of Germany over the next few years. During this time of occupation, it suffered from neglect. No further extensions took place in this area.
In the year 1802, archbishop von Erthal died. His successor was Karl Theodor Anton Maria von Dalberg. This man ruled the Principality of Aschaffenburg and the Grand Duchy of Frankfurt.
Von Dahlberg sent Sebastian Rinz to Frankfurt. He did it to oversee the conversion of the city’s bastions into parks in the year 1806. He again sent Rinz after the French destroyed them in 1813.
In the year 1814, Aschaffenburg passed to the Kingdom of Bavaria. Thus this area became a royal, and the king and crown prince enjoyed their time here after 1816.
The green touch of Park Schönbusch can amaze the visitors, without any doubt. This place has both historical importance and natural beauty. It has many things to offer to the people.